Moments of Confusion

The writings here flit between autobiographical and fiction. Don't always think what you read is true and/or happened - you'll never know. Feel free to comment.

14 February 2006

Eating Too Much Sugar


Sugar, for some, is a drug. If you are a sugar addict, then you know what I mean. Therefore this explains me, sitting at my desk, watching the cars drive by on the freeway thinking I will become a recovering sugar addict. Yep! That's it. I am never ever eating sugar again. Of course, I will probably remain in recovery until the sugar I ingested about five minutes ago has gone through my system, my blood sugar drops, and I run right back to the break room to eat some more. This will take 15, maybe 20, minutes.

Now, you non-sugar addicts might laugh. You can breeze through holidays like Easter and Valentines Day by having one small piece of candy and saying "Yum. Yum. That was good. But that is enough." You people make me sick.

Here is how I feel right now. High. I feel high as a kite. I am not quite "there." I can't focus. I feel a bit jittery. My mouth tastes sweet and sort of stale and it feels uncomfortably warm. However, I don't want to brush the sweet taste out of my mouth. My stomach hurts. I feel a bit like I want to throw up. I am thinking about how much more chocolate I can eat before I actually do throw up.

The only way to really stop this cycle (eat, feel high, feel sick, feel down, eat) is to completely leave the area where there is no sugar. I have found, that working in the corporate world, this is a near impossibility. First off, administrative assistants seem to feel the urge to pass out sweets for every holiday: 4th of July cookies, Halloween candy, Christmas cookies, 2nd Tuesday of the month cake...you get the idea.

And then there is the inevitable "doughnut day" where the company you work for buys doughnuts for everyone. In theory, there is about a doughnut a person. In reality, the non-sugar addicts eat a quarter (are you kidding me?) or none at all. The sugar addicts take one doughnut (like a normal person), and then when no one is looking they sneak back into the break room and eat more. How much of a doughnut can you eat while you fill up your water bottle. And let's not even go to how-many-doughnuts-can-you-stuff-under-your-shirt-with-out-anyone-noticing.

Another obstacle is people who bring in their "left overs." An email arrives at 830am saying Left Over Brownies in Break Room, with the explanation that there were left over brownies at Sunday's BBQ. The addict sits quietly. It's 830 in the morning. Hmmm...can I justify eating a brownie this early? Which, of course not only do you justify eating one at 830am, but you seem to find justifications for a brownie for every 15 minutes until the plate is gone.

If all else fails, there is always the vending machine.

Last night I was at my parent's house for dinner. My stepmother offered me some ice cream.

"Do you want some ice cream?" she asked.

I replied "When don't I want ice cream?" My father served it to me. He gave me about 1/4 cup of sorbet (geez, it wasn't even ice cream!).

"What are you? My father?" I said, dismayed at the small amount of sugar in my bowl.

"Yup." He said, smiled and put the sorbet container away. He knew full-well he had taken away my drug of choice.

"You make me sick," I smiled a smile that would have been suited for any 10-year old. Then I ate my little bit of sorbet.