Moments of Confusion

The writings here flit between autobiographical and fiction. Don't always think what you read is true and/or happened - you'll never know. Feel free to comment.

08 February 2006

My History in Shoes


This image captures two of the things that make me the most happy: shoes and dogs. That is my second to youngest dog, Red. I have four of them. Yes, four. They range in age from five months to seven years, and in weight from four to eight pounds.

The shoe thing is relatively new and I have to thank a friend for my new found fetish. For the past eight years I've shod myself mainly in clogs and flip-flops. As the friendship with the man grew, my appreciation in the "art of shoes" grew. I've found that buying them is not the challenge, but wearing them out in public is. I'm getting better. I'm up to about three days a week in non-clog, non-flip-flop shoes.

The interesting thing is that it took a few rounds of purchasing before I realized what I like to see in my closet is different to what I'd actually take out on my feet. Ideally I'd like to wear 3 1/2" heels or boots. In reality, I have a hard time with heels over 2" and please, don't cover up the back of my foot. All those years of clogs and flip-flops have conditioned my feet to be able to breathe. (This might explain why after I work out I feel the urge to rip the athletic shoes off my feet and put on my Crocs.)

As a child I bought all my sandals at Jackson's Shoes, which until last month, was still in business (remember, I'm pushing 40). I also remember having various sneakers, but I have no idea what they were. My friend Devin had a great pair of red hightops and I want to say I sported a nice blue pair, but I'm not certain. In grade school, in the 70s, I wanted Birkenstocks. My parents wouldn't buy them for me, so I made do with my mom's old pair. Trouble is, they were three sizes too large. I stuck cotton in my socks to make my feet look bigger. Eventually I talked them into buying me a pair of Interplantery Soles - these are shoes that mold to your feet and are just as funky, if not funkier (aka Not Very Pretty To Look At), than Birkenstocks.

In my teens, I was obessed with the ugliest shoes I could find. I was known to say "These are so ugly, they are cute." (Sorry, that doesn't really work for humans - but it can work for dogs.) In college my shoe criteria was color. I didn't care what they looked like or if they were functional, but they had to be yellow or purple, and if they were Doc Martens, all the better. Then came the years of my first job - hotel managment. My mother's spouse bought me a pair of Ralph Lauren something-or-others. They were so conservative I wasn't sure it was my feet in them, but they went really well with the nylons and suits I was required to wear.

Then I hit my marriage. I was thin and happy and all I could think about was looking sexy. And sexy I did. If it had heels I wore it. Not yet blossomed was the feeling for comfort or breath - just make me look sexy. Alas, that was short-lived and the era of flip-flops and clogs (and working in high tech) has reigned. At least until last spring.

I've branched out. The first thing I did was borrow my friend Anne's wedding shoes. They are red patent leather 3" heels. Great for photographing. Bad for walking. But inspired by them, I bought a pair of pink leather pumps with a 2" heel. I've worn them once. There are five other pairs of shoes that were worn once and then fell by the wayside - actually Anne's been the recipient of the "shoe-fallout" and she now owns eight pairs of shoes previously owned by me.

It was in my friend Laurie's shoe store where I began to buy shoes that fit my style: mules, clogs that are so nice they don't look like clogs, and cowboy boot slides. I love, and more importantly wear, them all. Spring shoes are coming out now. The colors are fantastic and there are a lot of sandals that meet the "breathing requirement". The shoes above were purchased in San Francisco just three weeks ago. Right now they've only seen the inside of my bedroom, but I see a bright future for them out in the real world (sorry Anne).

In short, I must thank my friend, who shall remain anonymous, for showing me the appreciation of women's feet. Much to his chargrin, my taste did not develop along the lines of his, but he has gotten me out of my Danskos and Zoris.

3 Comments:

At 15:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowsah! Nice looking gams you got there.

Love your blog, but I cannot love that shade of green for the background...

 
At 05:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice writings....totally get the sugar one as you knew I would. Jackson's Shoes is out of business???

 
At 05:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hots legs!

How come I can't comment on the other posts?

Either way, very interesting! Write ON!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home